History of North Tukvar Tea Estate:
North Tukvar Tea Estate/garden was one of the first commercial tea gardens to be established by the British government. It was started on an experimental basis during the early 1850s and started commercially producing teas in the year 1856. This tea garden is presently owned by the Birlas. The garden was acquired in the year 1995.
Location of North Tukvar Tea Estate:
North Tukvar as the name suggests lies and is located in the northern region of the Darjeeling district and is flanked by Puttabong Tea Estate, Badamtam Tea Estate, and Ging Tea Estate in the east while the western slopes is graced by Soom Tea Estate.
The garden may be reached from Darjeeling town as well as from Jorethang, a small town in the Sikkim valley at a distance of 16 kilometer and 7 kilometer respectively. This tea garden has an altitude of 1500 ft at its lowest level and rises to as high as 2800 ft with an average yield of above 100 tonnes from its 195.48 hectares of cultivable slopes.
Certifications of North Tukvar Tea Estate:
- HACCP certified by TUV India Pvt Ltd.
- ISO 9001:2008 certified by TUV India Pvt Ltd.
- Fair Trade: (certification under process)
Other Achievements of the Garden:
The garden produces its own vermicompost close to 300 tonnes in a year. The garden is also known to have its own nursery which has a success rate of over 95%.
Darjeeling Teas from North Tukvar Tea Estate:
The best of orthodox Darjeeling teas are produced by this tea estate. The most prized productions starts from the month of February for which this garden is famed for manufacturing the best first flush teas of Darjeelings from its conventional garden which has about 25% of the area planted with the best and high quality clonal tea bush like AV2, P312 and others.
Address of North Tukvar Tea Estate:North Tukvar Tea Estate,P.O. & Dist: Darjeeling, Pin – 734101 (West Bengal)